Monday, May 1, 2006

A memorable 'LABOUR' day

Today marks two special occassion in my life - the end to my 9 months of pregnancy and the beginning of my motherhood journey.

I have been counting down the days to my c-section, scheduled on Wednesday, 10th May 2006 as i would be finally be seeing Kaeden after such a long time. For the past few weeks, i have been picturing how Kaeden look like and who he resembles but guess nothing beats seeing the real him. Though happy that the date was brought forward but somehow his early arrival caught me by surprise.

In the wee hours of the morning, i was awaken by a sweet dream that my Kaeden boy has arrived on Planet Earth. I couldn't help smiling even in the toilet. It was seeing the 'show' that made me realise that today could well be the day that i have been waiting for!

We dressed up, grabbed my hospital bag and quickly made our way to the hospital.

4.15 am - Reached Mt Alvernia. Felt a gush of water flowing out while on the way to the delivery suite.

4.30 am - Changed into dressing gown and pee-ed. Strapped to CTG and contractions is at 10 mins interval. Walker went to settle my admission stuff.

5.00 am - Midwife performed an abdominal scan to confirm baby is in breech position. Did 2 VEs to check whether waterbag has burst (wah, this one super painful man!!!) but cannot confirm.

5.30 am - Dr Ho arrived. Did another VE but still cannot confirm. Decided to perform the operation immediately just to be safe.

5.45 am - Midwife shaved me and after cleaning me up, got the catherdal (uncomfortable but still ok) inserted. Hubby was then ushered away to get changed into the dressing gown.

6.00 am - Shifted to the trolley bed, got the shower cap on and off to the operating theatre.

6.20 am - Got the drip and epidural inserted (surprisingly, not pain at all) in the operating theatre. Started to fall in and out of sleep.

6.30 am - Started the operation and Walker came and joined me at my side. Was shivering non-stop due to the effects of the epidural.

6.50 am - Heard his first cry!!! Kaeden is borned!!! His weight at birth was 2.842kg, length 49cm.

It was so loud and clear! At that moment, the feeling was simply indescribable! I couldn't help crying. The nurse placed a snuggly wrapped Kaeden on my chest and despite my shivering non-stop from the side effect of the epidural, i managed to touch his cheek and say 'hi' to our new family addition...

No comments:

Post a Comment